Tuesday, December 19, 2006

Where are all the chestnuts?

Chestnuts roasting by an open fire. I've had the fire, never a chestnut. Not even once. Roasted? Nope. I've never heard them, "pop, pop, pop." It appears chestnuts are a regional thing - mostly the East coast. Maybe that's why I haven't had a chestnut. I don't know much about chestnuts really. I know they are grown on trees and shrubs. I hear that they smell bad. Europeans and Asians eat more chestnuts than Americans. The American chestnut has nearly vanished because of disease. The trees & shrubs suffered a "blight." Awwwwww.

Nevertheless, if you get a chestnut and are hell-bent on roasting it, make sure you cut a slit in the top of each individual nut - because they don't "pop" - they are known to EXPLODE. Experts say 200-220 degrees for about 15 minutes in a shallow pan oughta do it.

Now, about Jack Frost nipping at my nose. It's not my nose he nips at - it's lower - lower - right there. That's where I am "nipped."

No comments: