Monday, October 16, 2006

Meter maids! I got yer quarter right here!

Several months ago on these pages I sided with some city residents who I believe had their cars unfairly towed from a downtown lot.

No, I wasn't towed. Just the other day I was ticketed 4 times. In the course of 2 hours, I received 4 parking tickets. I was parked at a 30 minute meter. I was working 60 feet from the space, directly facing it through a plate glass window at my downtown broadcast studio. I knew when my time was up - and was prepared to feed the meter 25 cents each time time expired. I made note of the time I arrived, so I could feed the meter at the appropriate time. I was beat to the meter each time by a 20-ish meter maid. She dropped in from no-where literally seconds after each quarter expired. I'd be approaching the meter, to plunk in my quarter, and she's already there - fining me.

I'm not above the law. I am not civilly disobedient. I'm a big boy who knows how parking meters work, and why they're there. But, in this city - no make that town - this is hardly a city - this behavior has to stop. This town is trying to re-build it's downtown on tourism. If this is how our Police dept. chooses to treat me (a Springfield Good-will ambassador) , how will the Dentist from Detroit fare?

Meter maids obviously lying in wait for meters to expire is ridiculous. I paid the tickets. I'll go downtown again. I'll take my quarters and issue this threat. This is a threat to our meter maids. Treat me this way again, I'll get your name, and introduce a character to the show. This person will eat their boogers, fart & drool. They'll be dumber than a doorstop - and smell like Hogans goat. They will have the same name as you.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

That's ridiculous. I can see if you are a repeat offender - but these Meter Nazis have got to STOP!

Anonymous said...

I HAVE HAD THE SAME EXPERIENCE, EXCEPT THE METER RAN OUT 10 MINS BEFORE IT SHOULD HAVE. I WAS EATING DOWNTOWN AND WATCHING THE TIME CLOSELY. EACH TIME I LEFT 10 MINS PRIOR TO WHEN THE METER SHOULD HAVE EXPIRED. I GOT 2 TICKETS BEFORE I WAS DONE EATING. WHEN I WENT TO PROTEST THE TICKETS BY TELLING THE PERSON THE TIMERS WERE MOT RECORDING THE TIME PROPERLY, I WAS TOLD THE METER HAD BEEN CHECKED AND IT WAS WORKING PROPERLY. I WAS SO SURPRISED THAT I WOULD HAVE TO PAY UP!! I AVOID DOWNTOWN AT ALL COSTS NOW. I FEEL FOR ANYONE VISITING OUR CITY.